Kanye West: "Homecoming"
YeahAnd you say Chi CityChi City, Chi City
I'm comin' home againDo you think about me now and then?Do you think about me now and then?'Cause I'm comin' home again, 'min' home again
I met this girl when I was three years oldAnd what I loved most, she had so much soulShe said, "Excuse me, little homie, I know you don't know meBut my name is Wendy and I like to blow trees"
And from that point I never blow her off Guys come from outta town, I like to show her offThey like to act tough, she like to tow 'em offAnd make 'em straighten up their act 'cause she know they soft
And when I grew up, she showed me how to go downtownAnd at nighttime my face lit up, so astoundin'And I told her in my heart is where she always beShe never mess with entertainers 'cause they always leave
She said it felt like they walked and drove on meKnew I was gang affiliated, got on TV and told on meI guess it's why last winter she got so cold on meShe said, "YeKeep makin' that, keep makin' that platinum and gold for me"
(I'm comin' home again)Do you think about me now and then?Do you think about me now and then?'Cause I'm comin' home again, 'min' home again
Do you think about me now and then?Do you think about me now and then?Oh, now I'm comin' home againMaybe we could start again
But if you really cared for herThen you wouldn't've never hit the airportTo follow your dream, sometimes I still talk to herBut when I talk to her, it always seems like she talkin' about me
She said, "You left your kids and they just like youThey wanna rap and make soul beats just like youBut they just not you and I just got throughTalkin' 'bout what guys tryin' to do just not new"
Now everybody got the game figured out all wrongI guess you never know what you got 'til it's goneI guess this is why I'm here and I can't come back homeAnd guess when I heard that when I was back home
Every interview I'm representin' you, makin' you proudReach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloudJump in the crowd, spark your lighters, wave 'em aroundAnd if you don't know by now, I'm talkin' about Chi Town
(I'm comin' home again)Do you think about me now and then?Do you think about me now and then?'Cause I'm comin' home again, 'min' home again
Baby, do you remember when fireworks at Lake Michigan?Oh, now I'm comin' home again, 'min' home againBaby, do you remember when fireworks at Lake Michigan?Oh, now I'm comin' home again, maybe we could start again
Loyee, oyee, oh, loyee, oyee, ohComin' home againLoyee, oyee, oh, loyee, oyee, ohComin' home againMaybe we could start again
Read more: KANYE WEST - HOMECOMING LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/homecoming-lyrics-kanye-west.html#ixzz26fsbcJjR
Copied from MetroLyrics.com
The artist's approach to describing the community was through an extended metaphor. He is talking about Chicago as if it is a girl named Windy.(One of the multiple nicknames for Chicago is "The Windy City" hence calling it Windy ). Through this creative approach Kanye tells about all the aspects and things of his city. He supports Chicago to the very fullest. He even displays his feelings of missing the city since he had to move to pursue his musical career. The way he describes the city makes it seem like a fiery place. By this I mean that there are some aspects that "burn" but the "glow" of the place can be beautiful at the same time. "She said it felt like they walked and drove on me knew I was gang affiliated, got on TV and told on me" This line here talks about the bad side of the city which are the gangs. "...downtown and at night time my face lit up, so astoundin'...". Here he's talking about how great the lights of downtown are. In this song he adores the uniqueness of his city which makes up his community.
I used the same song! I found it interesting how Kanye West used two different narratives throughout the song. During the beginning of the song the listener believes he is describing a girl but later on one realizes that he is in fact talking about a city. The only critique is the same one for which I had for myself. Do you think the song is too broad? Does it mention specifically where he is from?
ReplyDelete