Sunday, September 16, 2012

Community Post

     The word community is a term used loosely in a lots of cases. It's miscorrectly used to describe a broader form of a neighborhood and the area you live in. This can be right at times but when used to describe the geographical point of it is incorrect. A community is a group of people that can be categorized together because of their specific similarities. With this being said a community can span across a nation as long as the people are connected through an equal quality. For example I am involved in three different communities. Those are Student Council, poetry, and my church. Each of these have different aspects that make them unique communities.

     The Student Council community I'm apart of is a club. This is located in the Whitney Young high school building. We operate in our own office where all of our supplies is on the first floor of the school. Since that room is small for all of us to fit in comfortably we use a chemistry room on the third floor where we have meetings to plan for events. This room has tables instead of desk which are better for working on. What sets us apart from other school's Student Councils are our original designed tee-shirts and the fact that we stay within our own school.

     Our level of work is high so expectations are even higher. Everyone is expected to be efficient and responsible for there job. Any slacking is unacceptable and not only hurts you but Student Council as a whole. To be a member you must fill out an application and have a year of being a devoted generally assembly member and making your presence and effort know. Once you are in you are given a position that holds a specific job. For example I am newsletter chairman. I write the newsletters that are posted in the bathrooms of the school. This newsletter is important to Student Council and the school because I put important information on there such as dates of school events that some students might not have known.

     This particular community feels comfortable and feels "me" because I enjoy the feeling of helping my school. I'm there for such long hours anyways that I might as well have an input in what goes on. Just knowing that I help build our famous balloon arches in the gym for pep rallies give me more respect for it. Every one is friendly and easy to talk to so becoming friends with each other is easy. Its as if we become a family because of all the hours we spend together working toward our common goals.

2 comments:

  1. Your analysis of a community is excellent! I’m glad you enjoy being part of The Student Council, you’re improving the school and enjoying it simultaneously which is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keyante, I'm really glad you found a community that you enjoy being in. I've always wondered what people do in Student Council and you've now opened my eyes to all the things one can do in there. I'm glad you're the newsletter chairman and I hope you keep doing what you do because you're improving the school!

    ReplyDelete